Sunday, June 27, 2021

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CCCXXXVIII--Oasis: Some Might Say

 A few years back I was making dinner and listening to my favorite tunes on shuffle (as is my custom) when this week's song came on and I had an epiphany--while I'd always loved the song, for whatever reason its essential greatness suddenly became readily apparent that evening.  There are those who say it is the band's quintessential song, but I'll leave it to folks who are more knowledgeable about the lads from Manchester than I to judge such matters....

As the annals of Friday Night Jukebox have already been graced with a post about an Oasis song, I'll skip the bio bit this week other than to update what brothers Liam and Noel Gallagher are using their talents for these days.  After the breakup of Oasis in 2009, Liam Gallagher continued the band under the moniker Beady Eye; in 2017 he went solo and has since released two albums, both of which hit #1 on the UK Album Chart.  Noel Gallagher formed the band Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and they have released three albums--all of them went to #1 on the same chart.  Sadly (or not--it's their lives) the personal and professional differences between the brothers that led to the breakup of Oasis do not seem to have been reconciled, and the brothers remain estranged for the most part.

Fun Fact:  Noel Gallagher freely admits that he borrowed "Some Might Say" from the song "Fuzzy" by Grant Lee Buffalo, and if you listen to its intro, you'll notice that he did....

"Some Might Say" was the first single released in the U.K. from Oasis' seminal album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory?  It would go on to become their first #1 single on the UK Singles Chart, and also topped their album chart.  It was not released as a single in America, but the album would become their breakthrough in the States, peaking at #4 on the Billboard 200.

I've never seen Oasis perform live, but I have seen "Some Might Say" performed in concert footage and all I can say is every band prays for a song like it (and there are quite a few who manage to have one), where from the moment it starts, thousands of fans are flicking their lighters and singing along at the top of their voices.  The word I would use--and I'm not sure it even does it justice--is anthemic.  It's one of those songs that the music (look up "catchy" in the dictionary and it's likely to say, "see also, "Some Might Say'") just fills every inch of your body, and the chorus whirls round and round and surrounds your being like the sun and the stars.  Liam's vocals are as good as it gets, and Noel's guitar just flows from one of the best song's he's ever written.  I sound like an overwrought fan boy, but since I checked last week and found this was my song of the week, the song has been delightful ear candy...and probably will be for weeks.  A stellar effort.

Lyric Sheet:  "Some might say that sunshine follows thunder/Go and tell it to the man who cannot shine..."

Enjoy:





You Have a Choice:  Pass a Voting Rights Bill, or Welcome Fascism to America

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment