Sunday, November 13, 2016

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. XCVIII--The Jam: The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow)

When I write Friday Night Jukebox each week, the song I've chosen was picked months ago.  I keep a notebook by my computer that lists each week and what song will be written about for that week (I currently have songs lined up through February of 2018)--and there's really no order to how a song is chosen.  I hear it, or remember it, and I think, "Man, that'd be a great one to write about..." and I log it in my FNJ notebook.

Little did I know when it was originally chosen that "The Bitterest Pill (I Ever Had to Swallow)" by
The Jam, would pop up in the same week as the single most disheartening election of my entire existence.  And let me tell you, the election of Donald Trump was one mother fucking bitter pill to swallow--though I have to admit I'm hoping this trend of FNJ songs reflecting current happenings continues and I win the Powerball jackpot the week I highlight "Money (That's What I Want)"  by Barrett Strong....

In 2002 Virgin Radio did a poll and eventually a countdown of the top 100 English music acts of all time and the top five in order were Queen, The Beatles, Oasis, David Bowie, and...The Jam.  I note this because the first four had substantial, though to somewhat varying degrees, success here in the States, and The Jam had none.  Their most successful album here was Sound Affects which peaked at a celestial #72 (and probably not with much of a bullet either).  Nonetheless, The Jam would probably make my top five favorite bands of all time (and their greatest hits package Snap! is the greatest greatest hits package ever, bar none), and I can honestly say I've met exactly one person in my life who liked them--and that was a hundred years ago when I was in my early twenties.

And here's where I go full on fan boy:  heavily influenced by my all-time favorite band The Who and the band I think is the most underrated group ever, The Kinks, The Jam musically were a mix of sixties pop, Rhythm and Blues, punk, and new wave, and lyrically were political, poetically English, and never lost sight of their working class roots.  Paul Weller's vocals varied from anger to matter-of-fact to sorrow and never sounded false or contrived.  And, as an added bonus, they dressed super snazzily.  Sadly, the band lasted all of five years (1977-1982) before a bitter break-up (Weller and bassist Bruce Foxton didn't speak for twenty years and though now reconciled, Weller said he and his children would have to destitute and living in the streets before he'd ever consider a reunion), releasing only six albums, but leaving dorks like me a host of songs to marvel at into our old age.  Weller would go on to form the Style Council (not for me) and have some solo success; his band mates did what lesser talented band mates usually do:  form lesser talented bands that have as many hits records as I do:  zero.

Released as a single in 1982, "The Bitterest Pill"  surprisingly enough is not about disappointing election results but rather about love lost and the ensuing heartache when said love finds their soul mate who in no way whatsoever resembles you.  I don't want this post to turn into a novel (well on its way!) so suffice it to say that the song combines the best of sixties soul with vocals that fluctuate between heartbreak and, unsurprisingly, bitterness, and all the while it's catchy as all hell, because, what the fuck, just because you're miserable doesn't mean you can't dance.

Lyric sheet:  "For the bitterest pill is hard to swallow/The love I gave hangs in sad coloured, mocking shadows..."

Enjoy:




Fuck Donald Trump,
emaycee

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it doesn't count because of your influence (though I actually think it was Noel Gallagher's), but I know for a fact that both of your older children (and I'd bet on the younger one since he has great taste in music) like The Jam.

    ReplyDelete