Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. XCVII--The Pixies: Debaser

A number of years ago, I read a piece about pop music in which the writer (it may have been Dave Marsh , but I won't swear to it) said that pop song lyrics were nonsense and we listened again and again because of the music.  I found myself somewhat ambivalent about his opinion--while I've never believed that Bruce Springsteen was on a par with T.S. Eliot as a wordsmith (Bob Dylan's Nobel Prize notwithstanding), "Born to Run" wouldn't be nearly the song it was if it had been an instrumental.

I've always thought, though, that this week's tune proved both sides--the lyrics to "Debaser" by the Pixies are so completely nonsensical and so completely brilliant that the song would be unimaginable without them.  But still it's the music that keeps you coming back for more....

Formed in 1986 in Boston, Massachusetts, the Pixies may have been the Velvet Underground of their generation--they didn't sell a whole hell of a lot of records but they influenced the hell out of so, so many bands (including Nirvana, Blur, Weezer, The Strokes, and Radiohead).  Their first incarnation lasted seven years before a bitter breakup--they reformed in 2004 and are still together today (though without original bassist Kim Deal, also of The Breeders fame).  Amazingly, in all that time they've only released six albums, but it's been enough to keep them touring regularly and made for a hell of a greatest hits package.

Released in 1989 on their Doolittle LP, "Debaser" was based on a film by Luis Bunuel called Un Chien Andalou (An Andulusian Dog for those who Spanish is either rusty or nonexistent), a film which is supposedly about nothing. Basing it on the film was a brilliant move by songwriter Black Francis, as "Debaser" is also pretty much about nothing.  It's truly nonsensical lyrics matched with frenzied guitars and maniacal vocals...which makes it a perfect song for dorks like me who have devoted far too much of our lives to pop music but haven't regretted a minute of it.  It's two minutes and fifty-six seconds of unadulterated rock and roll, two minutes and fifty-six seconds of joyous celebration, and two minutes and fifty-six seconds of riotous vocals amped by driving guitars with a funky as all hell bass and electric drumming.

In short, in case you're wondering, it's a hell of a song.

Lyric sheet:  "Don't know about you, but I am un chien Andulusia!"

Enjoy:




Peace,
emaycee

2 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, I always thought the song was about nothing, particularly before I knew what the hell Un Chien Andalou was. After film school, I heard the song and realized he might actually talking about something.

    Well, I realized he was talking about that weird ass film I learned about as part of a class section on avante-garde cinema. The film has zero plot, but, I believe, it was made to be hated. I mean, the director and Salvador Dali, who also worked on it, thought people would hate it. Whether it was their intention or not, I think it showed that people will like things that are "artistic" or things they don't get. Basically, fancy, French hipsters loved it.

    In the song, the guy has a movie, which he describes. You know, slicing up eyeballs and all. He is an Andalusian dog, a "fancy, French hipster" if you will. He wants to grow up to be a debaser, someone who can devalue things. Or someone who will value what at least has some.

    Maybe it's my brain wanting to find meaning or patterns in things, as we do. But I just thought I share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew the lyrics to the song, even though I sang without knowing the words -- so today I learned I was singing "un chien Andalusia." Thanks for explaining the background to a great song I never bothered to look up.

    ReplyDelete