Sunday, August 12, 2012

I used to be disgusted...

...now I'm just flat-assed pissed off.

It's been a horrible couple of weeks in the Detroit Free Press (not so good in the Detroit News, either, but it's a conservative publication and you gets whats you pays for)--so much so that I am seriously considering letting my subscription lapse when it expires in September.  I've been reading newspapers since I was eight-years-old (no child prodigy, I started with the easy stuff: sports and the comics) and I've never been so utterly disgusted with the level of discourse and the slip-shod journalism.  Misinformation--swear to God, it seems that several of their pundits are looking for jobs in the Beltway.  Just brutal with the "trying to appear balanced even though we're reporting completely incorrect information and our opinions are so ill-informed..." ad nauseum.

And then...and then...I read a piece like this one and this one (disclaimer:  they were written by my daughter) rooting out real life problems while exposing real life problems (homelessness and issues with local homeless shelters in a small Iowa town) and I think to myself maybe journalism isn't such a fucked up field, after all, that it's still capable of doing some good in this big old goofy world.

Maybe I just need to subscribe to a small town newspaper....

Peace,
emaycee

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Dad. Glad I got public credit as well as your email. I wish we had more ability (read time, resources) to do more of those sorts of stories.

    ReplyDelete