Friday, August 13, 2021

A dreadful sorrow

Her music was imbued with her joy


 Sadly, one of my all-time favorite musicians, Nanci Griffith, passed away today at the age of 68.  Griffith began her career in the late seventies, and continued touring and recording through her retirement in 2013.  She wrote several hits for other artists, and her seminal album, Other Voices, Other Rooms won a Grammy for best folk album.

I wrote about Griffith's song "On Grafton Street" on a Friday Night Jukebox post in 2019.  I also had the pleasure of seeing her live on a double bill with John Prine in the early nineties, and it remains one of my favorite concerts.

While there's always sadness at the passing of a beloved artist, I also feel very grateful for her artistry and the countless hours of joy her musical talents brought me.  She gave me an awful lot of good memories, and here's wishing her godspeed.

I had a hell of a time coming up with just one of her songs to post, but finally settled on this one (though it could have been numerous others) because it's a fine cover of a fine John Prine song:





People Who Refuse to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine Are Why Our Lives Can't Return to Normal

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment