Saturday, August 28, 2021

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CCCXLVII--Glen Campbell: By the Time I Get to Phoenix

 My introduction to this week's tune was my father, though I have to admit he was far ahead of me in his appreciation as I did not enjoy the song much when he played it when I was a teenager, and did not fully appreciate it until I'd gotten into my forties.  And the artist as well--Glen Campbell may be one of the most underrated musical performers ever.  Not only does he have three songs in the Grammy Hall of Fame (no easy feat), he's also one of the best guitarists that no one ever noticed was a great guitarist (if that makes any sense...).

Glen Campbell was born in Arkansas in 1936 where his family farmed and Campbell and his siblings picked cotton from a young age to help their family financially.  Campbell hit the road at age 14 and after a few years of working odd jobs, joined his uncle's band before forming a bar band of his own.  In the early sixties, Campbell joined The Champs (of "Tequila" fame) for a spell, before joining the Beach Boys (of "Too Many Songs to List" fame) as a touring member for a little more than a year (he played guitar on their classic album Pet Sounds as well).  Shortly thereafter he began his career as a solo artist, and through the mid-seventies was one of the most popular music entertainers in America.  He would go on to win four Grammy Awards, be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, sang the theme from True Grit (as well as co-starring in the movie) which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song, and had his own television show from 1969-1972.  For his career, Campbell released 60 studio albums (nine #1's on the country album chart and one #1 on the Billboard 200), and 82 singles (with five #1's on the country singles chart and two #1's on the Billboard Hot 100).  Campbell was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2010, toured through 2012, and recorded his last album in 2014 before the disease took his life in 2017.

"By the Time I Get to Phoenix" was released as a single in 1967 and was on his album entitled, surprisingly enough, By the Time I Get to PhoenixThe single hit #2 on the Hot Country Singles Chart, and #26 on the Hot 100, while the album was #1 on the country album chart and #15 on the pop albums chart.  It is one of Campbell's three songs which have been entered into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Fun Fact:  From the Some People Have Too Much Time on Their Hands Files:  A fan approached songwriter Jimmy Webb and told him that the driving timeline for Webb's "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" was physically impossible.  Webb later told an interviewer he did not intend for the song to be taken quite so literally.

Every now and again while doing my half-assed weekly research I learn something new, and this week I did once again.  Frank Sinatra called "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" one of the all-time great torch songs, and me, thinking a torch song was more along the lines of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On," wondered what the hell Sinatra was talking about.  Turns out a torch song is a sad song, often about unrequited love, which in that case describes this week's tune quite well.  Campbell deftly weaves with a wrenching vocal the tale of a man who has left his lover, and as he drives across the country he imagines what she's doing as he motors into each different place.  There are two things for me which really stand out about this one.  First, the protagonist is actually leaving his woman--there's no happy ending here.  And second, he's actually sorrowful for the pain he is causing her.  "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" isn't for everyone--it's a very slow and very sad song.  But if you're looking to find an out of the ordinary gem, this is one for you.

Lyric Sheet:  "Though time and time I've tried to tell her so/She just didn't know/I would really go..."

Enjoy:




People Who Refuse to Get the COVID-19 Vaccine Are Why Our Lives Can't Return to Normal

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment