Sunday, August 4, 2013

Chump Summers

I don't generally like to make predictions (ahem, I had Sarah Palin as the republican Presidential nominee in 2012)--I had a post all written after the Boston Marathon bombings in which I had carefully outlined why I was sure it was either an American militia group or an Eric Rudolph wannabe.  At the last minute I thought, man if I'm wrong I'm going to look like a complete idiot, and I deleted it.  Every now and again, the blind squirrel and all that.

But with all the rigamarole over Larry Summers becoming the next Chairman of the Federal Reserve, I thought, what the fuck, why not?

Here's what's going to happen:  we will be asked to sign hundreds, nay thousands, of petitions asking President Obama to appoint anyone but Larry Summers, there will be much hand wringing, hundreds upon hundreds of blog posts explaining why this will be horrible, and the MSNBC bunch will have countless pieces reinforcing these beliefs.

And President Obama will appoint him anyway.

Summers will not be as big of a disaster as Alan Greenspan (Greenspan has set a pretty high bar) but he will do absolutely nothing--absolutely nothing--to help the poor and the middle class, but will insure the rich keep getting richer.

It's a good thing I enjoy eating so much, because this existential cynicism is enough these days to make me think about giving up the fight and going back to writing fiction.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment