Monday, January 4, 2021

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CCCXIII--Avett Brothers: Souls Like the Wheels

I haven't had the time or the money over the last twenty years to follow music as much as I would have liked, but one band I am so happy I did get lucky enough to discover is the Avett Brothers.  This will mark the second song of theirs I have featured, and I can honestly say that both of them have given me more joy than a music geek should be allowed to have....

As noted in the preceding paragraph, this isn't the first go round on Friday Night Jukebox for the Avett Brothers, as I wrote about them in Vol. XC.  Since that time they released a studio album in 2019, and an EP just last year.  They were also nominated for two more Grammy Awards, and a musical based on their song catalog is tentatively planned for this year depending on the pandemic.

"Souls Like the Wheels" was not released as a single.  It originally appeared on their EP The Second Gleam  (as did their previously featured tune, "Murder in the City").  The mini album reached #82 on the Billboard 200.  A live version of the song was also featured on their album Magpie and the Dandelion.

The Avett Brothers had me at the opening acoustic guitar solo of "Souls Like the Wheels" (the live version noted above features an even longer opening solo--be still my beating heart...).  Every time I hear the song it reminds me of how much I love the sound of an acoustic guitar--that the vocals are as heartfelt as a love sonnet and as smooth as chocolate cream takes it to another level.  As are so many of us, I am feeling very hopeful these days for the future of mankind, and I would be hard pressed to name too many songs more hopeful than "Souls Like the Wheels"--though Seth and Scott Avett have crafted lyrics that could literally define the world subtle.  If you're ever in a situation where you've survived one of life's too numerous traumas and you're quietly reflecting on how much better the world and your future are going to be after it...this is the song you want for that moment's soundtrack.  A wonderful piece of the best the folk genre has to offer.

Lyric Sheet:  "One little song/Give me strength to leave the sad and the wrong..."

Enjoy:



361,000+ Dead Americans Because of Donald Trump's Incompetence

Biden:  306 EV's, Trump:  232
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment