Friday, May 1, 2015

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. XVIII--Okkervil River: Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe

In late 2007, Rolling Stone had an alternative band sampler that the Beautiful Girl was kind enough to both download and burn onto a CD of for me so I could listen to it as I drove to and from work.  And during the second go round, I was about halfway to work one day when I noticed this song where the lead singer was wailing away and all of a sudden this bass drum goes off like a cannon and the background singers start screaming "HOO HOO!" again and again and it's like I'm watching some horror movie where the psychopath is ready to begin his blood bath--and I thought, "This is unbelievable--who the fuck is singing this?"

Turns out it was Okkervil River, the alternative rock fan's alternative rock band, unleashing their single "Our Life Is Not a Movie or Maybe."  And I can honestly say that some eight years later every time I hear it the song still sounds unbelievable, an utter marvel.

Released on their The Stage Names (#62 on Billboard's Hot 200--with a bullet!) album (which my oldest son was kind enough to burn a copy of for me), the song is a play on the often mundane existence of a band, despite the hype of being rock and roll stars.  Will Sheff's vocals vacillate from a false calmness to a knowing screech, the drums bounce from tapping to booming, the guitars are a whirlwind of sirens, and Sheff sprinkles on some worthy of a wordsmith lyrical phrasing ("serenely dribbling" "flickering pane")--and you have one of those moments where you think, "Yes, it's songs like this that make it all worthwhile...."

And in the end, "It's just a life story, so there's no climax...."

Enjoy:



Peace,
emaycee

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. It'd been awhile since I thought about Okkervil River and this song and album were a classic.
    Also, I didn't realize (or I forgot, goddamn Alzheimer's) that we all found Okkervil River independently. Seems like the emaycee brood all have pretty good taste!

    ReplyDelete