Sunday, September 28, 2014

Profiles in courage

When I first read this piece, which cites data showing that the number of children attending our public schools who are homeless was up for the 2012-2013 school year by 8% to 1.25 million kids, I was, as I usually am, both saddened and angered that numbers such as these are the norm in the richest nation in the history of civilization.

But the more I thought about it, the more it dawned on me how courageous these people are.  I mean, I know how hard it is some mornings to get up in the freezing cold, or when we're a little under the weather, or when we didn't sleep well, or worked late, and have to make that trek from our home to the Beautiful Boy's school.  How much harder must it be to make that trek when you're doing it from Aunt Jo's basement, or some flea bag motel, or your car?  And they do it because they know that if there's one thing that can give their kids a chance at a better life than they have, it's an education.

And thanks to our public education system, their kids have that chance, even if they don't have any money.

If there's any one reason--and there are many very good other reasons--to support, fund, and save our public education system, this is it.  It's the only decent chance some kids have.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment