Saturday, February 26, 2011

There's battle lines being drawn

A couple of thoughts have come to me over the past few days, mostly as I ponder what the good union people of Wisconsin are doing for us, and I think both of them say a lot about what is wrong with republicans, what is wrong with the tea party, and what America needs most: an all-out, no holds barred, class war.


The first is the sheer audacity of conservatives when it comes to how much money people make for the work they do. It amazes me how they will scream public sector workers are overpaid at $40-50,000 a year (if that much) for giving our children an education, keeping us safe, plowing our snow covered roads, and putting out our fires, but when it comes to ending tax cuts for the wealthy, well, you know, $250,000 a year just isn't that much money (aside: what the motherfucking fuck?). How long before the MSM points out (a good guess would be never) the obvious: republicans think it's good for people to not have jobs and to be paid as little as possible. If you are not among the wealthy elite, they do not care if you live or die. Period.


The second has been over who is helped by raising the retirement age--because it's certainly not those of us who are ready to retire fucking yesterday. Frankly, it's dawned on me that what raising the retirement age actually should be called is the Wal-Mart Greeter Movement. Because that is the only constituency that is going to be helped by raising the retirement age--very few people in their late sixties are going to be working construction jobs, picking up trash, or laying asphalt. Very few industries are going to continue to pay the kind of salaries that forty years of experience would require. Ergo, the only jobs that will be around for people in their late sixties and early seventies will be door greeters and cashiers. Excitement city--but don't forget the minimum wage pay rate (federal--$7.25)! Woo-fucking-hoo.

The assault on the middle class (and even more, the poor) has become a tidal wave (and teaches us all too well the importance of thinking through the ramifications of your vote before you vote--exactly what were the republicans plans for creating jobs...oops, there weren't any!):

1) Campaigns for right to work laws (a misnomer if ever there was one) have increased despite the fact that a) median weekly wages have fallen for high school and college graduates, when adjusted for inflation from 2000 to 2009, and b) of the top ten states for average wages one is a right to work state, and of the bottom ten, seven are. Right to work laws help us how?
2) This is how far off the deep end the republican party is: they want to roll back Child Labor Laws. Seriously--the abuse of children by corporations is one of the most egregious stains on American history, and these idiots want to fucking return to it. One can only guess that rolling back the laws ending slavery is next on the republican agenda.
3) American businesses no longer need nor care about American workers--shipping jobs overseas means corporations can force American workers to work for less. The powers that be are increasingly forcing on us a service economy, and as anyone who has ever worked in the service industries can tell you, the pay is shit. How long before we have had enough and realize that just having a job isn't enough and that we want to get ahead, too? My guess is not long.
4) The weakening of our democracy. Paul Krugman channels Naomi Klein's The Shock Doctrine to explain Scott Walker's actions in Wisconsin: "Right wing ideologues exploit crises to push through an agenda that has nothing to do with these crises and everything to do with imposing their vision of a harsher, more unequal, less democratic society." Bob Herbert laments a system where our government representatives are more responsive to corporations and the wealthy elite than to its average citizens and how this is corrupting our democracy. It can seem a bit frightening...

...but being a good Liberal, and the antithesis of conservatives and republicans everywhere, I will not live in fear. Wisconsin--and I have no idea if we will win or not, though I'm guessing not--shows that we're ready to fight back and that there are plenty of people who are seeing unions in a new light. Mark Sumner, in a spirited defense of unions, wrote this: "Union is not just a means to oppose tyranny, it is the only means." Dean Baker wrote a nice piece about how Liberals need to start reframing the economic debate--and a good beginning would be to constantly refute the republican argument of government vs. the free market; republicans use the government just as much as Democrats to get what they want--mostly to distribute more and more income to those who already have the most. And as we're seeing in Wisconsin, Republicans are overreaching--it amazes me on a daily basis how horrifically tone deaf republicans are about their victories this past November. People wanted jobs, not bullshit. Bodes well for 2012....

But the most hope of all comes from us--what we're seeing in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and sure to spread is people power speaking truth to power. In the Bob Herbert column I noted earlier, Herbert recalled words Howard Zinn spoke to him shortly before Zinn's death: "If there's going to be change, real change, it will have to come from the bottom up, from the people themselves."

Get the troops ready.

Peace,
emaycee

13 comments:

  1. This piece of writing gives clear idea in favor of the new users of blogging, that truly how to do running a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually when someone doesn't know afterward its up to other
    users that they will help, so here it occurs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so awesome! I don't suppose I've truly read anything like that before.
    So good to find another person with some unique thoughts on this issue.
    Really.. thank you for starting this up. This website is something that is needed on the web, someone with
    a bit of originality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're a group of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done a formidable
    job and our entire community will be thankful
    to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
    Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I do believe this is a great website. I stumbledupon it ;) I'm going to return once again since
    i have bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the best way to change, may you
    be rich and continue to guide other people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from Carolina! I'm bored to death at work so
    I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break.
    I enjoy the knowledge you present here and can't wait to take
    a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my
    mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, amazing site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good day I am so glad I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was
    looking on Bing for something else, Regardless I am
    here now and would just like to say cheers for
    a tremendous post and a all round entertaining
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over it
    all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I
    have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the great jo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is in point of fact a nice and helpful piece of info.

    I'm glad that you simply shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of area .
    Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this website.
    Studying this info So i am satisfied to express that I have an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed.
    I such a lot indubitably will make certain to do not disregard this site and
    provides it a look regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just like the helpful info you supply to your
    articles. I will bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly.
    I'm fairly certain I will be informed plenty of new stuff
    proper here! Best of luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, everything is going well here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that's actually excellent, keep up
    writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peculiar article, just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete