Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Rising from the ashes

I used the motto for the city of Detroit at the top of this blog ("We hope for better days; it shall rise from the ashes.") because I thought it described Detroiters and Michiganders, and their attitude, perfectly. Much the same can be said for this ad--props to Chrysler for pushing the envelope--which captures Detroit (and Michigan) perfectly. Yes, it's grim at times, but it's real and hopeful, and shows what not only Detroit and Michigan do best, but what America does best: we build things.

I'm not a native, but after nearly ten years living in the "Detroit suburbs," I can honestly say I love living here as much as anywhere I've ever lived. Despite the miserable winters, this is a beautiful place, with lots of green and a lake around every corner. And the people are decent and down to earth as any I've ever met.

It's been a miserable last ten years here--the state has hemorraged jobs, the standard of living has plummeted, but still we keep pushing forward, and I think the Chrysler ad nails that spirit. Here's hoping it's the first of many good blessings to come Detroit's way.

Thanks to the Free Press for their buzz kill in this editorial--standard crap about personal responsibility, living up to our potential, yadda, yadda, yadda (though I was somewhat surprised to hear the Free Press say Detroit doesn't have "an image problem"--really? and beans won't make you fart). The Chrysler commercial was a bold statement and solving Detroit's problems will take bold ideas and actions--not trite platitudes.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment