Saturday, December 27, 2014

It's that time of year

So I'm driving home from work tonight, and I come to a stop at a red light above a busy intersection.  And about ten feet in front of me I see a young man standing in the chilly drizzle, under a streetlight, with a cardboard sign that reads:

"Homeless    Anything Helps    Merry Christmas."

You know what stood out the most to me?  "Merry Christmas."

Now I know a lot of cynical people would think he inserted that line to pull at our heart strings and remind us  that it's that time of year.  But I don't think so--I think it's the quintessential expression of the best part of the often imperfect America spirit, i.e., even though my life's in the shitter doesn't mean I can't earnestly hope yours is doing fine.

And in our often imperfect country, we learn how to take the bad with the good.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment