Thursday, August 14, 2014

Seventy-nine years ago today...

...Franklin Delano Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act, the greatest and most successful social program in the history of America.  It has kept innumerable seniors out of poverty--and helped thousands of young people who have lost parents and thousands of people who have become disabled.

I can't begin to imagine where my Mom would be without her monthly check.  And being one of those people (20% of people aged 55 to 64 have no retirement savings) whose ass has been kicked by Bush the Lesser's economic catastrophe--a.k.a. The Great Recession--I know I'm thankful for it because it's probably the only thing between me and working as a Wal-Mart cashier when I'm eighty (should I be so lucky to live so long).

Social Security was originally the brainchild of Frances Perkins, the first female to be appointed to a U.S. Cabinet (she was Roosevelt's Secretary of Labor from 1933-1945).

She is responsible for the greatest good for the American people in our history.

Not a bad legacy.

Peace,
emaycee



No comments:

Post a Comment