Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Refusing to be a fool

"I worked my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on a string held by all those big shots."  Vito Corleone, to his son Michael, in The Godfather



The New York Times featured a piece this week purporting that quite unlike our elected Democratic leaders (face it, republicans don't give a shit whether we live or die unless we're rich) the business world has realized that the middle class is disappearing and is capitalizing on it by either catering to the top 20% or so or cutting prices and slumming for the rest of us.

I note this because figures are in showing that while union membership didn't decline in 2013, it's still down considerably from 1983, and wage stagnation--and just plain shitty wages--is rampant.  Think there's any correlation?

As long as there are too many people happy to be dancing on the strings held by corporate America for the pennies and dead-end jobs tossed their way, the American economy will only continue to worsen for the bottom 80% of us.

Myself, I'd much prefer to be on the side of those refusing to be fools, like the union members fighting every day for better jobs and better pay for all of us.

Peace,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment