Tuesday, February 11, 2014

One commercial, two Americas



My first reaction when I saw the above commercial for Cadillac was that I hoped I would win the lottery so I could write GM and tell them I hated their commercial so much that I would never buy a Cadillac, even though now I could afford one.

Like that's going to happen.

Then I read a comment about the commercial where someone noted that the commercial wasn't for most Americans, just those lucky few who could actually afford one.  So I googled Cadillac sales results for 2013, and from a little extrapolation, I estimated that with all Cadillac models combined, Cadillac sells roughly 250,000 cars a year, or about one American in every 1000 people bought one (given the unlikely assumption that all of them were sold only in the United States).  This comes to a tenth of 1% and--ta-da!-- we're in the stratosphere of the moneyed elite.

I suppose those of us who live paycheck to paycheck are just supposed to change the channel.

And by the way, culling the spirits of Muhammad Ali and Les Paul?  When the fuck did they become establishment icons?

Peace,
emaycee



No comments:

Post a Comment