Friday, May 10, 2013

Sometimes nothing is one cool hand

Fast Food Workers in Detroit today became the fourth group in a major American city (New York, Chicago, and St. Louis were one, two, and three) to strike for a living wage.

I have a friend who has been in retail nearly as long as I have (30 years) and she says that anytime a business she has worked for puts out a charity jar, she could always count on the poor to find a few cents to help out, and the rich to turn their noses in the air.

Leave it to those who have the least and the most to lose to lead the way in fighting for a better economic life for all of us.  Submission to the powers that be can be a pretty bitter taste, especially when you make your living making food for people, and that livelihood is so poor that you can't afford to eat without food stamps.

$15,400 a year (full-time--and good luck with that--at minimum wage) is a slap in the face to hard working people and it seems the time has come for them to slap back.

Good for them.

Peace,
emaycee

1 comment:

  1. I think I wrote about this once, but I've been in line at stores many times and have seen cashiers ask the rich-looking folk in front of me for a donation to some cause. I have then checked out after them and not been asked for the same donation. Personally, I find it insulting. And I've told the cashier that I can make a donation, just to be a prick to the asshole who assumed I was not a decent human being.

    ReplyDelete