Monday, July 16, 2012

Lightning bugs

For some odd reason, the Beautiful Boy reached the age of seven without ever having seen a lightning bug.  I don't know why the apartment complex he spent every summer of his life living at until this one never had them, but it didn't.  A couple weeks past I took him outside shortly before dark and for the first time in his young life, he saw a lightning bug.  Needless to say, as they are one of the insect world's more interesting creatures, we have been outside every evening since watching for them.  And nearly every night, he reminds me that they are also called "fireflies."

Tonight he asked me why we have lightning bugs.  I don't often think well on my feet,  and the best I could think to tell him was that we have them for the same reason we have squirrels--they can be immensely entertaining to watch.

Earlier today he also told us--for the first time, I believe--what he wants to be when he grows up:  a scientist.  Because of my two older children, I know such desires at such a young age don't always come true--if I recall correctly, at his age my daughter wanted to be an oceanographer, and my son a baseball player (daughter is a political reporter, son in law school to be a--surprise!--lawyer).

The two thoughts of his got me to thinking though, that perhaps the reason we have lightning bugs is so that those of us who are blessed with children can take a step back and see the wonder of the world--much like a scientist does--through our children's eyes yet again.

And much like Mr. Armstrong sang, it makes you think to yourself, "What a wonderful world."

Peace,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment