Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Count me among the unimpressed

I've never written political journalism, but like any other job, I assume it can have dull patches.  And that during those dull patches, anything a bit offbeat is probably like an oasis in the desert.  I don't really have a problem with the Free Press' Todd Spangler writing this piece on ultra-extremist, western Michigan republican and U.S. House member Justin Amash and his propensity for voting present instead of yea or nay.  I don't really think it's much of a political issue--Amash is in a very conservative district in the state and barring his announcing he's coming out of the closet and is actually a flaming homosexual (he's not--married with children) he's going to win re-election as often as he chooses.

No, what bothers me is for someone who comes from a party that is so concerned about government waste and spending to be such a waste of government spending.  Don't the voters of his district deserve someone who at least has the decency to vote yes or no?  I mean, how hard is it?  And I'm not really all that convinced that his votes are about his convictions:  all too often for conservatives, the "Constitution" becomes a convenient receptacle for their worldview, kind of like Christians who can find some obscure passage in the Bible to support their worldview despite the fact that Jesus Christ never mentioned it ("Christ" being the reason they're "Christians") or flat out condemned it (see also, rich man, heaven, and eye of needle).

Frankly, I think young Amash is little more than a con man, someone trying to get paid for doing the heavy lifting, without doing any of the heavy lifting.  It's the height of irresponsibility.

And it's your tea party, America....

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment