Friday, June 5, 2015

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. XXIII--The Grateful Dead: Touch of Grey

I'd be the first to admit that I don't really get the Grateful Dead.  It's not that they're a bad band--it's that they're just an okay band.  I mean, I like "Truckin'."  I like "Ripple."  I like "Casey Jones."  I like "Friend of the Devil" (though truth be told, I like Lyle Lovett's cover version from Deadicated much better).  None of them would make my top 500, though.  I've got Skeletons in the Closet, their greatest hits package, and it's more than enough Dead album for me.  And despite their reputation for live performing, I couldn't imagine going to see them in concert, much less becoming a Deadhead.

But as the old saying goes, every dog has its day and the Grateful Dead had their day with me with their 1987 hit "Touch of Grey."  Released on their In the Dark album, it was their only top ten hit on the Billboard Hot 100 (the album was also their only top ten album, as well), peaking at number nine (with a bullet!).  Reluctant frontman Jerry Garcia wrote the music and longtime Dead lyricist Robert Hunter wrote the words--the Dead originally performed the song live in 1982 but didn't record it in the studio until 1987.

Ostensibly, the song is a paean to getting old--or at least the acceptance of getting old.  Not really sure why at the age of twenty-eight it struck me as such a great song--probably because the age of thirty was just around the corner and I was looking for any kind of assurance that getting older wouldn't totally suck.  Turns out Mr. Hunter was right--it is "all right."  The tune is a melange of pop and Americana supplemented by Garcia's knowing vocals, some folksy lyrics, and the oft repeated chorus "I will get by/I will survive."

True enough, that.

I turned fifty-six yesterday, and as I combed my hair after my morning shower, I noticed in the mirror that even though the full head of mouse brown hair no longer existed, a "touch of grey" suits me very well, indeed.

Enjoy:



Peace,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment