Thursday, March 20, 2014

Republicans' war on teenage girls

I'll be the first to admit that when Gary Peters was anointed to be the Democratic nominee for Carl Levin's Senate seat here in Michigan, I was lukewarm at best (truth be told, the first time I got an e-mail from his election committee I unsubscribed).  He's a pro-Business, somewhat Conservadem, endorsed by Debbie Stabenow (leading the Dem charge to slash food stamps) and Carl Levin (usually reliable, but very weak in his last year--food stamps, voted against filibuster reform, voted against the Gillibrand amendment on military rape)--he'd obviously get my vote, but I'd be holding my nose while checking his name.  After a little more than a year of watching Elizabeth Warren be the kind of Democrat we all hope for, Peters was a little disappointing.

Leave it to republicans to to change all that.  As if the Koch brothers trying to buy his seat by having a cancer victim lie in pathetic commercial after pathetic commercial, Right to Life of Michigan has come out and said that Peters spoke out against Michigan's rape insurance law so he could keep abortion "accessible and cheap for his [teenage] daughters."

There's some political courage for you--attacking teenage girls.  Want to guess how much more fired up for Peters I am these days?

Keep in mind that Right to Life of Michigan's website lists all kinds of links to christian/religious/catholic doctrine.  Kind of makes you wonder:  what would Jesus do in light of watching his name being used to attack teenage girls?

My guess is puke.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment