Saturday, April 20, 2013

With a fountain pen

"Yes, as through this world I've wandered,
I've seen lots of funny men.
Some will rob you with a six-gun,
And some with a fountain pen."

Woody Guthrie, "Pretty Boy Floyd"

It'd been years since I heard this song, but when I heard it today (Bob Dylan on the Folkways:  A Vision Shared tribute) for some odd reason this factoid from Think Progess that I'd read a short while ago popped into my head--since 2008, coroporate profits have risen 20% faster than workers' incomes.

I've heard tell there was a time when average workers shared in the prosperity of their companies, but those days disappeared after the Reagan Devolution.  Record corporate profits don't happen without dedicated workers, and you have to wonder how long that dedication will last without some financial reciprocity.

It only takes the removal of one card for the house of cards to come tumbling down.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment