Monday, April 29, 2013

What's love got to do with it?

Bill Donohue, President of the Catholic League and asshole extraordinaire, went on TV last week and explained that marriage is not about love or happiness, but is solely about creating a family.

It's been a number of years, but my first marriage occurred when I was still a Catholic, as was my first bride, and for the life of me I could have sworn the word love was mentioned a time or two in the ceremony.  So I  googled the rite of marriage in a Catholic ceremony, and lo and behold, the word "love" is mentioned eight times in the ritual, and creating children is mentioned once (and the children clause is optional for the priest to include in the ceremony).

If the Catholic Church continues to let people go on national TV and tell people that their relationships really aren't so different from those of horses on a stud farm, they're going to need a miracle on par with Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead to resurrect their fortunes here in America.

Peace,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment