Sunday, May 28, 2017

Or will his spirit float away?

Crossroads, seem to come and go...

I keep telling the Beautiful Girl that we shouldn't be surprised that the last couple of years have taken so many of rock and roll's greats, and that it will probably be the norm for a number of years to come.  It's not that I want to see any of them depart this vale, but so many of them are starting to reach that age--late sixties, early seventies--when whether we like it or not, Mother Nature is going to turn on the lights to let us know the concert is over.

Greg Allman passed away this weekend (I wrote about the Allman Brothers "Melissa" many moons ago on Friday Night Jukebox) at the age of 69.  He was one of the great purveyors of blue-eyed soul (along with Van Morrison, Boz Scaggs, and Daryl Hall back in the early days of Hall and Oates), and the Allman Brothers gave a lot of people a lot of joy through the years, including me.

This morning while I was mowing the lawn (hot fun in the summertime) I turned on the iPod and listened to some of their old classics and pondered not the transience of life but rather celebrated great music.  I don't usually smile much while I'm cutting our grass, but I did today....

I know I've already featured this one, but it's easily one of my twenty-five favorites of all-time--when Greg Allman sings the word "Lord" it's almost enough to make me a believer.  Enjoy:



R.I.P.,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment