Thursday, August 13, 2015

Some advice for the haters

A bar patron recently left a card with the following message upon it for a bartender in Seattle:

Economics 101: As the compensation for your service increases, there is a cost to me as the consumer to pay for that increase. As I have no control over the Seattle City Council's decision to redistribute wealth, I can only exercise the rights left to me.
(1) I can choose to not eat out. (Then who would pay your wages?)
(2) I can choose to be carrion for the City Council's vultures.
(3) I can choose not to tip and explain why and provide a free economics lesson.

As someone who has been in the service industry for over thirty years, let me provide this customer with a free lesson in why it isn't a good idea to be an asshole to service providers:

1)  I've never worked in the food and beverage industry, but I have worked with plenty of people who have.  It's not much of a way to make a living--it's dirty, you often stink of food, drink, and cigarettes, bosses and customers often treat you like shit, and even at $15 an hour (which only a select few make) service employees aren't going to be on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous anytime soon.  Practical advice if you left this card:  do not ever go back to this establishment.  Chances are someone who clears tables, tends bar, or waits tables might recognize you.  If you knew the horror stories I've been told about what food and beverage employees do just to entertain themselves...well, let's just say that someone spitting in your drink is the least of your worries.
2)  If you left this card, the odds are good that you're one of those people who thinks store clerks are your personal slaves and must bow to your every whim because "the customer is always right."  You may well be right as far as the powers that run such companies are concerned (they don't have to swallow your shit so what do they care?), but as someone who has been there, I can guarantee you that you've been fucked by an employee somewhere at least once if not numerous times and you don't even know it.  I've always had a family to support so it's never been an option to me (plus sometimes the powers that be make you call and apologize to such customers--I've apologized for legitimate reasons such as dirty bathrooms or falling merchandise, but I'd rather have a red hot poker stuffed up my bum than apologize to some asshole who thinks I'm their personal Kunta Kinte), but let me give you a few examples of how you've been screwed:
  • Paying cash?  You'd be amazed at how many people don't pay the slightest bit of attention to their change.  It's very easy to short a $1 or a $5--even a $20--if they're busy talking on the phone.  You'd be surprised at how many people forget their change.  Assholes don't get reminded.
  • Many stores run hourly or daily specials--which oftentimes customers either tune out the announcements or miss the signs explaining the deal of the day.  Assholes often don't get those deals because it's so easy for clerks to conveniently forget.
  • Making a purchase with many different items?  While you're blabbing on the phone or scolding your kids, it's really easy to ring an item (or two or...) an extra time.
  • Ever get home and after putting your goods away wondered to yourself, "Hmm, I thought I picked up a package of mac and cheese....").  You did!  It's just back on the shelf now because the clerk "forgot" to put it in your bag.
That's just a few--and the best part is, there's not a single one of them that can't be apologized away as simple human error.

There's no need to fret if you're one of those 95% of people who treat sales clerks decently and with a modicum of respect.  There's also no need to worry if you get a decent human being like me who takes his responsibilities seriously and doesn't want the indignity of trying to explain what may appear as an improper transaction.  Most clerks fit into that category, but there's more than a few who are just plain mean or realize how easy it is to find another minimum wage job or just plain get fed up with taking shit from assholes.

And in that case, it's wise to remember the old saying:  "You can catch a lot more flies with honey than you can with vinegar."

Here endeth the lesson.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment