Friday, July 3, 2015

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. XXVII--X: 4th of July

Truth be told, I'd never heard "4th of July" by X until last year on the Fourth of July--Digby featured it in one of her posts and I gave it a listen.  My first reaction was...not exactly being overwhelmed.  But for whatever reason the chorus was running through my head when I awoke the following morning and I gave it another listen.

Needless to say, upon further reflection it turned out to be a hell of a song, and I've spent the past year getting caught up on a lot of lost listening time.

Released in 1987 on their See How We Are album, "4th of July" is a burst of roots rock wherein the protagonist, in the midst of a fading relationship, is seeking one more chance and wants his lady love to take a walk outside because it's the Fourth of July.  Bolstered by rock solid and plaintive vocals from John Doe, the stylings of Exene Cervenka on the chorus, some driving drumming, a dandy bass line, and some pop, pop, pop guitar work, "4th of July"is both a eulogy and a celebration of relationships and all they provide.

Much like our Fourth of July is both a eulogy and a celebration of America....

And as the chorus reminds us, "Hey, baby, it's the fourth of July...."

Enjoy:



Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment