Sunday, June 29, 2014

Torches and pitchforks and guillotines, oh my

Like most people, whenever I read a blog post every now and again a link will capture my fancy and I will click on it.  Most of the time, though, I take the blogger's word for whatever he/she is trying to prove/call attention to and skip it.

That being said, if there is one link you click on this entire year, click on this one.  It's a piece by Nick Hanauer, warning plutocrats of the coming shitstorm that historical levels of income inequality is brewing in America.  The difference in this piece from the usual dire warnings of French Revolution, Part II is it's written by a plutocrat--Mr. Hanauer is richfolk.

While I don't share Mr. Hanauer's unabashed love for capitalism (alas, once bitten, twice shy) or his desire to make it a bipartisan affair (never trust a republican politician), I do share his belief that unless we rebuild the middle class, eventually a whole lot of richfolk are going to end up dead.

And trust me--torches, pitchforks, and guillotines are going to seem quite quaint what with the firepower our best and brightest have developed over the past couple of centuries.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment