Monday, November 18, 2013

No medals from the Wizard for them

Rep. Fred Upton from some shithole right here in Michigan put forth a bill this past week that unlike Obamacare, manages to ensure that Americans either have no healthcare or have shit healthcare.  It also does nothing for those with pre-existing conditions and reinstates lifetime caps.  Although the bill was the health insurance industry's wet dream (with no chance of passing the Senate or not being vetoed by President Obama), 39 "Democrats" voted for it.  Thereisnospoon says it is just politics--the "Democrats" were those in tough districts who were freed from an issue that could be used against them in their re-election campaigns.

He is wrong.

There is a reason that Elizabeth Warren is much beloved in Democratic circles and that same reason is why she will cruise to re-election as long as she so desires to be a Senator from the state of Massachusetts.  She has political courage and it is something the 39 "Democrats" noted above are sorely lacking.  Senator Warren cares much more about her constituents that she does about her poltical fortunes.

As Digby notes, of the 34 "Democrats" who voted against Obamacare in 2010, only five are still in Congress.  Here's hoping the same fate befalls the gutless 39 of 2013, but that they be replaced by real Liberals who put the people who elected them before their career ambitions.

Peace,
emaycee

1 comment:

  1. One of those five, and one of the thirty nine, Jim Matheson, is my representative.

    Other than my time in Virginia, voting for a true liberal, Jim Moran, Matheson is the only representative I've ever voted for. I hate him with a fiery passion. But every election, I hold my nose and vote for him. I'd like to take a moment to defend my vote. Because he'll get it again in 2014.

    If you look at his opponent in 2012 that he barely beat, Mia Love, and who will again challenge him in 2014, she's fucking nuts. To be fair, should this be a Polanski-noir flick, I'd be hearing, "Forget it, Jake, it's Utah." But I refuse to just sit back and accept it.

    Jim Matheson sucks the big one. He's barely a Democrat, but he's the one, THE ONE, Utah gets. And with gerrymandering, we're gonna lose him one day.

    Frankly, I know his vote on Obamacare and this Upton bill were to avoid losing to Mia Love. And the Democratic leadership tells him to do it. They need him when they need him, and I honestly believe he would be there if they did (his dad, and former Utah Governor, is quite beloved by Dems in this state). They just haven't.

    Yeah, I don't like him, and I bitch about him regularly. But I get why he does what he does. I do ask myself regularly if a DINO is better than a lunatic. I answer with a reluctant yes. While I've looked at some of their locations and districts, I can't vouch for any of the others, but forget it, Jake, it's politics.

    ReplyDelete