Thursday, January 10, 2013

Baseball's Wax Museum

I could write a dissertation on all of the idiot Baseball "writers" and their "reasoning" behind their failure to elect any new members to baseball's hall of fame this past week.

But I want to focus on one notion that seems to be guiding their voting:  this idea that somehow the baseball hall of fame is some sort of shrine, and its hallowed walls sacred.

No, it isn't.  There are churches that are sacred.  There are sites that the Virgin Mary has reportedly visited, like Fatima and Lourdes, that are sacred..  The baseball hall of fame is a glorified and overly expensive tourist trap. It bears as much resemblance to a shrine as a garbage dump.   My brother and I visited it a few a years ago and were done in a matter of a few hours.  Unless either of my sons would like to visit with me I can envision no scenario--especially since it's located in BFE--in which I would ever visit it again.

I'm willing to grant that of the four major sports hall of fames (baseball, football, basketball, hockey) that the baseball hall of fame is easily the best--but that's about the equivalent of being the sweetest smelling turd.  It still stinks.  If you are truly interested in the history of baseball, there are hundreds of books and thousands of web sites that will give you much more information (and considerably more in-depth) than you'd get visiting the hall of fame dozens of times--and be much cheaper.

Frankly, the only difference between Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum (other than Tussaud's being much cheaper) is the fact that they don't let not particularly intelligent or perceptive sportswriters decide who gets a half-assed replica of themselves in Madame Tussaud's.


Peace,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment