Sunday, February 9, 2020

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CCLXVI--The Modern Lovers: Roadrunner

A couple of years back I was browsing through our local library's music selection and came across a four CD collections called No Thanks! The 70's Punk RebellionFeaturing 100 songs by 75 different artists, the collection captured my fancy for the next year (highly recommend it).  Over the coming years (yes, years) numerous songs from the set will be featured here, but I chose this week's first because, frankly, over the last ten years I cannot think of a tune that I enjoyed more (the first year I heard it, it was my #1 most listened to song on Spotify)...and it was fitting that it was originally released about the time my musical adventures began because it reminded me of exactly why I've devoted so much of my life to those adventures.

There probably is one, but I can't think of another band that had the kind of influence The Modern Lovers did and yet only released one album.  Led by Jonathan Richman (the original incarnation also featured David Robinson who would go on to fame with the Cars, and Jerry Harrison who would eventually help to form The Talking Heads), the band began in 1970, recorded most of the songs that would make their history in 1971 and 1972, broke up in 1974, regrouped in 1976 (and released the album that contained the aforementioned songs from '71 and '72), and broke up for good in 1988.  The only constant in the band was Richman, who would go on to release 8 more albums as Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, and 17 solo albums, though Richman turned away from rock and roll and mostly performs folk music with acoustic instruments these days.  The band also released three live albums.  They are considered forerunners of the punk, new wave, alternative, and indie movements, and their songs have been covered by Iggy Pop, David Bowie, the Sex Pistols, and Joan Jett.  Oh, and they're from Massachusetts....

"Roadrunner" was released as a single in 1976 from their debut, and only, album, the ever so cleverly titled, The Modern Lovers.  While neither the single nor the album came anywhere near charting, "Roadrunner" ranked #274 (and should have been much higher) on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All-Time, and the album was ranked #381 on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time.

Fun Fact:  The Modern Lovers have another song on the above compilation called "Pablo Picasso" in which they rhyme "Picasso" with "asshole."  Why that gives me such glee is a wonder, but it is the little things in life sometimes, ain't it?

It's easy to forget that in the end, for all its merits, rock and roll is a lot of fun--and that's more or less the premise of "Roadrunner."  A paean to Massachusetts, rock and roll, and driving at night with the (AM) radio on, the song's exuberance is a celebration of enjoying the moment...with the radio on.  I've tried and tried to come up with an adjective for Richman's vocals, but the best I could do was droll...but it works so well within the song that that's all that really matters.  The song is also a tribue to the Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray" (Richman was heavily influenced by VU).  From Harrison's swirling keyboards, to the driving drums and the thunderous guitars, with Richman's witty repartee as he extols driving around Boston while listening to music, until he asks the band to join in and the band chants "Radio on!" around Richman's vocals you know you are in the midst of utter brilliance.  It's a lovingly strange song for a lovingly strange time (Richman reportedly wrote it 1970 at the age of 19--there ought to be a law outlawing greatness at the age of 19).  And to think I missed it for forty years--but believe you me, I've been making up for lost time ever since I first heard it.

Lyric Sheet:  "Roadrunner once/Roadrunner twice/I'm in love with rock and roll and I'll be out all night..."

Enjoy:




Fuck Donald Trump,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment