Thursday, October 20, 2016

Losing

I'd be hard pressed to name a Presidential election in which I was more disappointed than the 2004 election in which George W. Bush edged out John Kerry.  When I went to bed on election night, Kerry's chances were slim and none.  When I awoke on Wednesday, it was over, and George W. Bush had won re-election.  I just couldn't believe that the American people could re-elect a man who had proven himself such a colossal failure (little did I realize how much worse he would get!).  I remember talking on the phone to both of my older children and hearing their downcast and dejected voices, and just having an overwhelming sense of doom.  But, for whatever reason, when I woke up on Thursday morning, the first thought I had was, "Fuck it--time to get started on the next election."

I mustn't have been alone--in two years we Democrats had taken back both houses of Congress, and in 2008 we won the White House in a landslide, both by convincing a majority of voters that we had better ideas and solutions and could fix what republicans had done to America.  And we did.

Compare and contrast that with today's republicans, whose reaction to Donald Trump's impending defeat is to scream about rigged elections and threaten peaceful citizens with talk of armed insurrection.

Who do you suppose the real Americans are and which ones do you suppose are just the posers?

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment