Monday, May 30, 2016

Call me an asshole, but...

Being active in politics, I get numerous e-mails daily requesting my signature on some petition or another.  Most of them I'm more than happy to oblige--it usually only takes a few seconds and it's a way to guarantee your voice gets heard (or annoy a republican politician).  However there are two these days that I absolutely refuse to sign.

The first is any call for republicans to give Merrick Garland a confirmation hearing as our next Supreme Court Justice.  Nothing against Garland--while he wouldn't have been my choice (too old, not liberal enough), he seems like a decent man and would still give the court a solid leftward tilt.  But I think the American people have an inherent sense of fairness and realize that Barack Obama was elected President until January 2017 and thus the decision on our next Supreme Court Justice is rightly his.  And I want to absolutely hammer republican Senatorial candidates over this issue for the next five months--I want to us to show Americans that Ayotte in New Hamshire, Johnson in Wisconsin, Portman in Ohio, Toomey in Pennsylvania, Kirk in Illinois, Grassley in Iowa, and McCain in Arizona are undemocratic jerks who are dismissive of the will of the people.  And greatly improve our chances for taking back the Senate.

The second is those asking Donald Trump to release his tax returns.  Why on earth would I want that?  The longer he keeps it up the longer it looks like he has something to hide--and the longer it looks like republicans are truly the party that looks after the wealthy and doesn't give two shits about anyone else.  Hell, we can even contrast him with Hillary Clinton--she's rich, she released hers...so what exactly is he hiding?  While I think Trump is toast in November, the bigger the victory the longer the coattails for down ballot Senate, Congress, and state and city candidates.

Note that I don't think we should ignore these two issues--I think we should bring them up daily.  I just don't want anything to actually happen.

I'd much rather open a can of whoop ass this November.

Peace,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment