Thursday, October 8, 2015

Split pea soup

At a recent speaking engagement in Houston, former Colin Powell chief of staff and retired United States Army colonel Lawrence Wilkerson floated the possibility of the United States eventually breaking apart.  It's an idea I've mentioned before, though I noted I thought it would never happen because Corporate America would have too much to lose.

Still, the farther along we get I have to wonder a) are our differences just getting too great (gridlock across the country politically, utter disdain on both sides for each other)? and, b) how much longer will the citizens of blue states want to subsidize the red states (especially southern) that seem to be clueless as how to fix their myriad of problems?  Add in the fact that the Corporate America lineup changes regularly and ordinary Americans contempt for it after the Great Recession, and you have a recipe for change.

Though I don't think it will be anything I see in my lifetime, I think as time passes it's not a matter of if, but when.  Unfortunately for the red states, eventually the blue states are going to get tired of paying for their problems, and as Wilkerson noted, the south is going to end up looking like Bangladesh.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment