Friday, September 11, 2015

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. XXXVII--Sam Cooke: You Send Me

The Beautiful Girl and I will celebrate 13 years together tomorrow, and while I'm not sure if she's familiar with Sam Cooke or "You Send Me," I'm going to presume it's the thought behind the song that counts....

I was introduced to the music of Sam Cooke by my father (and I would later introduce my daughter to the joy of listening to him) when I was still a young man, and now that I'm a not so young man I can honestly say that even the worst of days can be made a little bit better by listening to the man many consider the King of Soul.  Cooke started out as a gospel singer, but by the late fifties he would branch out into R & B and Pop.  Between 1957 and 1965, Cooke had 33 Top 40 hits (most of which he wrote himself) and still found time to found his own record label, publishing company, and  be active in the Civil Rights Movement.  He would later become a charter member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and be ranked 16th on Rolling Stone's list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

Sadly, Cooke was shot to death in late 1964 after a dispute at a hotel in Los Angeles (many have questioned the circumstances of his death) at the all too young age of 33.

As for "You Send Me," it is considered Cooke's signature song.  Released in 1957, it would appear the next year on his Songs by Sam Cooke LP.  The song spent three weeks at Number One on the Billboard Hot 100, and eventually was named one of the 500 most important recording of all time by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as well as ranking #115 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500  Greatest Songs of All Time.

I could tell you about Cooke's silky smooth vocal delivery, or the pure unadulterated joy that infuses the song, or its timeless brilliance, or that absolutely no one on the planet before or since can sing "Whoa" like Cooke did, but all you need to know is this:  if there is a heaven, I can guarantee you that Jesus Christ himself has covered "You Send Me," and that all twelve of his Apostles and Mary Magdalene begged to be on backing vocals.

As for you, Beautiful Girl, know that after thirteen years you still "...send me, honest you do, honest you do, honest you do, whoa...."

Enjoy:







Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment