Monday, October 27, 2014

Private eyes

For all the (deserved) fuss over NSA spying on Americans, often left out of the kerfluffle was corporate spying on Americans.  We can argue until the cows come home about which is worse (I trust corporations less myself), but the plain truth is that both of them speak volumes about how much freedom we actually have.

I note this because of a  recent piece which notes of how companies will check out your car while you are being interviewed for a job to look for tells about your personality (e.g., age of car, is it clean or dirty, what's it like on the inside--car seats, messy, cigarette filled ashtray).  I found it interesting because the back of my car is covered in political bumper stickers (when I say covered, the only way I can put on a new one is when an old one wears away) and because of it, when I interviewed for the job I have now, I purposely parked on a side street and not in the company parking lot because I didn't want those stickers to hurt my chance of getting the job (I've got a family to feed and food ain't free).

Just another reminder of this word of warning:  just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment