Thursday, April 26, 2012

And I do believe it's time...

In 1978, I was flipping channels one night when I came across Martin Scorsese's "The Last Waltz"  on HBO and it began a love affair with The Band that lasts to this day.   The Band is probably one of the most under appreciated groups in musical history--the Beautiful Boy once told my brother and sister that his favorite guitarist was Robbie Robertson and in unison they both said "Who?"  Their two best known songs are "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" because it was an unlikely hit for Joan Baez, and "The Weight" because it was featured in the movie "The Big Chill."  They were critically adored and popularly ignored, and I would bet few people younger than myself (outside of the Beautiful Boy) even know of them.

I mention this only because Levon Helm, their drummer and often lead-vocalist passed away last week at age 71, the third member of five to have passed.  Helm was the only American (the other four were Canadians) and his influence on The Band was huge--many of their roots rock influenced songs came directly from Helm's experiences in life.  He may or may not have been the brains of the group, but he was certainly its heart and soul.

I grew up on top 40 radio (and still have quite the affinity for a good pop hit), but The Band was the first group I discovered that showed me there was a lot more of interest out there musically than just what the radio was playing.

And for that, I'd just like to say, "Thank you, Mr. Helm."

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment