Thursday, April 11, 2024

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CDLXXXIII--Rebekah: Sin So Well

Oh, goodie, only six days late....

Sometime during the pandemic, I started going through all of my old mix tapes to see which songs I'd once liked that I didn't have on CD so I could download them from Spotify.  It was kind of surprising that there were a number (not a lot, but a few) of songs that I just could not remember.  I began searching music sites for them, and, to a song, they all ended up being songs that a) came back to me and b) I realized there was a good reason I'd put them on one of my mix tapes.  This week's tune was one such song--I originally discovered it via a compilation that Hits magazine put out called Hits Post Modern Syndrome:  Closing Time, one of a collection the magazine released numerous issues of....

At one point while doing my half-assed weekly research, I thought this was going to be the first Friday Night Jukebox post where I had absolutely no information about the week's artist.  But, after numerous searches, I finally found Rebekah also goes by Rebecca Johnson and Rebecca Jordan and was able to find a Wikipedia entry.  While Rebekah, originally from Cleveland, hasn't had much in the way of commercial success, she's done enough to keep playing music for the past twenty-six years which beats hell out of bagging groceries for a living.  She's released five studio albums, appeared in four movies (including the Best Picture nominee, As Good as It Gets), and probably most importantly from a financial standpoint, co-wrote the song "Beautiful Disaster" for Kelly Clarkson.  All in all, a career that many a failed musician would love to have had.

"Sin So Well" was the first single released from Rebekah's debut album, the well-advised title, Remember to Breathe.  The single hit #80 (with a bullet!) on the Billboard Hot 100, while the album, near as I can tell, did not chart.  It should be noted, though, that in the above link AllMusic gave the album one hell of a review.

Regular readers (all three of you) will recall that emaycee has quite the fondness for pop songs sung by female vocalists...and "Sin So Well" checks both boxes.  Rebekah has a smooth voice that reaches right down into her soul, and her vocals capture the sin in the song...so well.  It's got a catchy chorus, some nice guitar and bass work, and a risqué lyric or two for those who like the occasional double entendre.  Just a marvelous pop single.

Lyric Sheet:  "Mama doesn't like when I sin so well/Heaven's kinda far/But I swear that when I'm coming it's close..."

Enjoy:



Republicans = Nazis

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment