Saturday, February 17, 2024

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CDLXXV--John Mellencamp: It Don't Scare Me None

Once again we have A Week and a Day Late Jukebox....

My introduction to this week's tune came when it was included on the soundtrack to the movie Falling from Grace which starred, and was directed by (both were debuts), John Mellencamp.  For a novice, Mellencamp did a credible job both as an actor and a director, putting together a fine little movie (I've seen it twice and both times enjoyed it thoroughly).  He also put together one hell of a soundtrack--I listened to it for months when it was first released and will still put it on the stereo on occasion....

I wrote about John Mellencamp in Vol. CLXXIX, and like Bruce Springsteen and Tom Petty from my early posts this year, it's hard to believe I've only written about one of his songs prior to this one.  I'm sure that will be corrected over the next few years, good Lord willing.  Since I wrote about Mellencamp in 2018, he has released two albums (his Strictly a One-Eyed Jack was actually a pretty nice record) and had a 78-date tour last year.

"It Don't Scare Me None" was included, as noted above, on the 1991 soundtrack to Falling from GraceThe song was not released as a single, and try as I might, I was unable to find any chart info for the album.  

Written by Larry Crane (backing guitarist for Mellencamp from 1976-91), "It Don't Scare Me None" is a song about an older man who is full of piss and vinegar, sung by a younger man who is full of...piss and vinegar.  Mellencamp delivers a rollicking performance, capturing not only the protagonist's fearlessness, but also his joie de vivre.  Mellencamp produced it, and you can hear where he was at musically with this one, with its Americana vibe (lots of fiddle in the instrumental break).  Great chorus, a fine pop groove, and my favorite part, right before the instrumental break when Mellencamp tells the band to "Take it."  A great song from a man who was at the height of his musical powers.

Lyric Sheet:  "Woke up blurry-eyed/Wonderin' where I've been/I've wrestled with my conscience/But my conscience never wins..."

Enjoy:




Republicans = Nazis

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment