Friday, July 21, 2023

I left my heart...

One of a kind...



 Tony Bennett was the fourteenth artist I devoted a post to on Friday Night Jukebox (Vol. XIV), and seven years later I wrote a second one (Vol. CCCLXXXIX) for one of the finest singers this world has ever seen.  Sadly, Bennett passed away today at the age of ninety-six, leaving us his wonderful legacy of over seventy years in the music business.

Bennett is the last of his generation--Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Perry Como, Johnny Mathis, among many others--of male crooners, artists who interpreted songs written by others and left their own indelible mark on those songs.  While the bulk of its success was before my time (and I freely admit to not being an expert), it was a gift that so, so many of us will be able to enjoy for the rest of our lives--and for generations to come.

For me, Bennett will always hold a special place in my heart for "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" his paean to my forever home and my city by the bay.  This December will mark fifty years since my family left the Bay Area, and lo these many years the sentiments in Bennett's signature tune resonate as much today as they did on a cold winter's day in 1973 when our plane landed in our new home of Indiana.  Just a beautiful tribute from a one-of-a-kind singer to a one-of-a-kind city.

Godspeed, Mr. Bennett, Godspeed.

Republicans = Nazis

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment