Saturday, May 27, 2023

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CDXXXVIII--Bearfoot: Before I Go

 I've written a time or two about songs I discovered from listening to Pandora while I worked at the thrift shop, and this week's featured tune is from their folk channel.  We also have another Jukebox first, as this week's artist is the first from our 49th state, Alaska.  So in a way, this week we'll be going North...to the Future....

Bearfoot (originally Bearfoot Bluegrass) formed in Cordova, Alaska in 1999, though the members had met and began playing years earlier at a Folk Arts Camp.  They got their big break in 2001 when they won the Telluride Bluegrass band contest, and shortly thereafter released their first album.  The band eventually turned their musical skills toward Americana, went through numerous personnel changes, moved to Nashville, and after a show in Montana disbanded in 2013.  For their career they released five albums.  Bearfoot remained especially popular in their native Alaska throughout their years together, being considered "small town heroes."  They also had a devoted following thanks to featuring three female vocalists.

"Before I Go" was released in 2009 on their fourth album Doors and WindowsThe song was not released as a single, and the album did not chart.

A folk song, banjo playing, a mandolin, some fiddle, and female vocals, both lead and backing, that are as sweet and lusciously smooth as a cream pie...pretty much makes for an emaycee fave.  Written by longtime troubadour John Hiatt, "Before I Go" is an ode to life's journey, its glories and failures, its knowns and unknowns, and most of all to having a partner to share it with.  Bearfoot makes the most of its talents and takes a well-written song to heights that are heavenly serene.  And it's just the kind of song that warms the heart of an old fart folkie like me....

Lyric Sheet:  "And I will try, but I will stumble/And I will fly, he told me so/Proud and high or low and humble/Many miles before I go..."

Enjoy:



Republicans = Nazis

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment