Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CDXXX--Alexi Murdoch: All My Days

 Better late than never (or not)....

My introduction to this week's tune was a TV show, which I originally thought was Criminal Minds, but after doing my weekly half-assed research I discovered was wrong (not the first, or last, time I'm sure).  Eventually it came down to Without a Trace (which my wife watched so I'd have heard it in a background noise kind of way), or Scrubs (which I've seen maybe four episodes of).  Either way, it was a most fortuitous viewing....

Alexi Murdoch was born in London, England in 1973, and emigrated to America in 1992 to attend Duke University.  He began his music career somewhat later than many Friday Night Jukebox honorees at the age of 29 with the release of his debut EP.  He released two more albums by 2009, and since has toured and made appearances at various music festivals.  Murdoch has eschewed major labels and has distributed his three records through his own label, Zero Summer Records.  While Murdoch has not had much commercial success (critically he's done very well), he has excelled at having his music licensed for TV shows and theatrical movies, which by my count exceeds thirty shows and movies, as well as having written the bulk of the soundtrack for the movie Away We GoAnd that to me sounds like nice work if you've got the talent for it....

"All My Days" appeared on Murdoch's debut studio album Time Without ConsequenceThe song was sadly not released as a single, and the album did not chart.

While I'm doing my weekly half-assed research for each of my chosen tunes, I listen to its YouTube video and follow along with the lyrics from whichever lyrics site I've chosen for the week.  As you might guess, I find it quite enjoyable, but this week's was even better because it was one of those rare instances where as I listened it dawned on me that the song was even better than I'd originally thought. "All My Days" opens with a nice acoustic guitar riff before Murdoch begins his deceptively understated vocals, which upon listening again I was struck by how well Murdoch used vocal inflections to make the lyrics stand out.  I've written a time or two about how effectively artists can use sparseness and simplicity to make incredibly complex music, and Murdoch gives a master class with this one.  Just a delightful and moving song.

Lyric Sheet:  "For I look around me/And my eyes confound me/And it's just too bright/As the days keep turning into night..."





Republicans = Nazis

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment