Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol XVII--Eels: Rock Hard Times

Silly me--I don't keep up much with music reviews anymore, and I had assumed since they formed in 1995 that Eels were  a semi-hip band that most people who were familiar with them at least liked.  Turns out they are more a  love 'em or hate 'em outfit.  While I wouldn't classify them as my favorite band, I'm more in the love 'em camp.

I first became awate of Eels with their hit "Novocaine for the Soul" (#1 with a bullet on the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks and also a top ten hit in the U.K.), which I heard late at night on a local alternative station while I was writing the worst novel ever written (I've also written the second worst novel ever, a rare double feat that I'm quite proud of).  A few years later while reading Nick Hornby's tribute to some of his favorite singles, Songbook, he had an addenda in which one of the newer songs he listed was "Rock Hard Times" and for me, it was love at first listen.

Released in 2003, it was featured on their/his (read the Eels link) album Shootenanny, and wasn't actually released as a single.  No matter--the song is one of their/his best with frontman Mark "E" Everett's weary mellow soul vocals (California pop!), some nice self deprecating lyrics, a touch of the jangly guitars, and a catchy as all hell chorus.  It's a feel good song that isn't a feel good song, and "rock hard times" are something far too many of us have felt the last few years personally, economically, and politically.

And yes, everybody knows we all just  "...gotta make it through..." them....

Enjoy:



Peace,
emaycee

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of Nick Hornby, this reminded me of Rob Gordon from "High Fidelity" organizing his albums autobiographically. I can see where "Shootenanny" would be if I actually owned hard copies of everything that could be organized as such (as if I'd ever take the time).

    It was one of the strangest, and probably most difficult, times in my young life when I found this album by listening to it at one of those stations Borders used to have. "Saturday Morning" hooked me, but songs like "Agony" and "Rock Hard Times" sold me. As I said, it was a rough time, so that makes sense. "Dirty Girl" was the song about the girl I was lovesick over all those years ago, and now my wife.

    While I don't listen to it often, probably because it takes me back to a place I'd rather forget, it was a great album that I might throw on this weekend to remind myself of the old Rock Hard Times.

    ReplyDelete