Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. XVI--Temple of the Dog: Hunger Strike

This week we'll be taking the "A" Train from Saccharine City back to Coolsville....

If I was being sent to a deserted island and told I could have only ten songs on my iPod (and, no smartasses, I have no idea how I'd keep the iPod charged on a deserted island), I don't know that I would choose "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog, but I'm certain I would spend the rest of my time on the island wondering if I should have.

I could tell you that the band was formed in the wake of the death of Andrew Wood (heroin overdose), lead singer of Mother Love Bone, as a tribute by his friend and roommate Chris Cornell (Soundgarden), and that the band also featured four members who would eventually become the heart and soul of Pearl Jam.  I could also tell you that it's the only album the members ever made together, though they've performed it live since a number of times.  I could tell you that it's on their appropriately titled  album Temple of the Dog  which was released in 1991, and while critically well-received, it didn't have much popular success until both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam found large mainstream audiences.  All of which has about as much relevance as does the Big Bang to my existence--yes, I wouldn't be here without it, but I don't spend much time thinking about it while I'm enjoying my life.

Simple put, "Hunger Strike" is one of those moments of pop utopia where everything came together to produce a stunning song.  From the gentle string strumming of the opening to the overtly political lyrics to the bursts of power guitar, the song is a masterpiece of rock.  But what really makes the song, turns it into a slice of rock and roll heaven, is the dueling vocals between the worldly-wise depth of Eddie Vedder's (his first recorded vocal, no less) singing and the plaintive wail of Chris Cornell.  Whether it was karma or luck or the touch of the music gods we'll never know, but everytime I hear "Hunger Strike" their vocal back and forth never ceases to amaze me.

And, no, "I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence..." one bit.

Enjoy:




Peace,
emaycee


No comments:

Post a Comment