Sunday, May 5, 2024

Friday Night Jukebox, Vol. CDLXXXVI--Jane Wiedlin: Tangled

How I hate to be late....

Regular readers (all three of you) will remember a post I wrote a couple of weeks back about Rebekah and her single "Sin So Well" which I'd forgotten about and discovered via some old mix tapes.  Same story with this week's song, though I never would have guessed I'd write about a solo single before I wrote about one from this week's artist's original band (I actually thought I had, discovered I hadn't and quickly added one for a future post)....

Jane Wiedlin was born in Wisconsin in 1958.  At the age of six her family moved to Los Angeles, and within a few short years she was involved in the L.A. punk scene eventually co-founding the Go-Go's with Belinda Carlisle.  The Go-Go's would go on to phenomenal success, before drugs and money took their toll.  Wiedlin went solo in 1985, and through the years has bounced from her solo career to reunions with the Go-Go;s to other musical projects.  She is most well-known for co-writing the hit "Our Lips Are Sealed" which Rolling Stone ranked at #477 on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.  She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2021 with her bandmates.  For her solo career, she has released four studio albums, and four singles (with one top ten hit song).  While the Go-Go's have disbanded (my guess is "for now"), Wiedlin continues to perform and record.

Fun Fact:  Wiedlin played Joan of Arc in the 1989 comedy Bill and Ted's Excellent AdventureHer portrayal of one of the world's most revered saints was most excellent....

"Tangled" was released in 1990 on her album entitled, amazingly enough, TangledWhile the song was not released as a single, it did appear in the movie Pretty Woman and was on its soundtrack.  The album did not chart.

"Tangled" chronicles a relationship on the brink and the emotions inherent in said situation--all within a fantastic pop ditty.  Wiedlin doesn't reinvent the wheel with this one--it's just a catchy as all hell stanzas and a catchy as all hell chorus.  Her voice is a little quirky (during my half-assed research someone compared her vocals to Cyndi Lauper and I thought that was an apt comparison) but she still delivers an impassioned performance, and lyrically, Wiedlin captures the angst of a failing relationship without turning it into sappy drivel.  Also, I really like the way she overdubs certain words (doubting, crying) in an almost echo.  Overall, just another really nice piece of pop pie from another in a long line of wonderful female performers.

Lyric Sheet:  "Oh, baby/I'm so tangled/Twisted up like a lover/Was never, ever meant to be..."

Enjoy:




Republicans = Nazis

Peace,
emaycee

No comments:

Post a Comment